Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The major work is Complete!

I have been delinquent in posting my progress.  The work has been done for a month or more, so let me catch you up.  Completed the refinishing of the teak (2-3 coats of West System epoxy w/ 207 Hardener followed by 3-4 coats of varnish, with 0000 steal wool between coats) and reinstalled.  Added new turning blocks and cam cleats on the deck on either side of mast for the head sail sheets.  Added new blocks for main sheet and replaced all running rigging including eye splicing new halyard lines to the original wire halyards..  Replaced the plywood backer that support the rudder and glassed in the new wood within the aft lazarette.  Installed new sheaves in mast head for main halyard and sealed masthead to prevent water from getting should I dump.  This will hopefully help prevent her form turning turtle.  I then got some friends to help me get her back on the restored trailer and out of the garage.  It took some time to adjust the trailer rollers and bunks to properly support the hull.  I used a couple of scissor jacks form my cars to raise and lower the mounts until I was happy with the load distribution and placement.  The jacks made it easy to make adjustments without having a small army of folks to lift and hold the boat.  A few minor items and she is ready to sail.











No comments: