Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Laid up my first piece of fiber glass tonight!

Laid up my first piece of fiber glass tonight! It went exceptionally well. If you look very closely at the pics, you can see the mesh of the glass cloth. The epoxy virtually makes the glass disappear. The white ares are where I used epoxy with filler to fill in gaps and voids in the wood core. The light blue border with the dots (holes) is the bit of the original fiberglass floor that I left in place. I slipped some of the new wood under it shoving thickened epoxy back into the old core under the bunks, that I could not get out. The holes in the old fiber glass were to aid in drying out the wet core early in the process and now a place for thickened epoxy to go to improve the physical bond between new and old.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have the same boat and, unfortunately, I also have the same problem. I'll start working on my T16 as soon as winter is over. I feel lucky to find your blog and photos and there is no doubt this will help me a lot in my project.
I have a question about the plywood you had to remove. Does it go under the side seats and under the front section ? If so, what did you do about it ?
Regards,
Claude

Chip said...

Claude, sorry for the long delay in posting your comment. I have been work home improvement projects and have not touched the boat or the blog in a while.

The plywood core does go under the cockpit seats, but I can not tell how far (just under the front edge, or well up the hull). I cleaned out the rotten wood. Lucky, it most places I could get to a good edge near or just under the front edge of the seats. I mixed up some thickened epoxy and pushed it up under the seat wall and then pushed the new 2"x5" plywood piece in under it, further driving the epoxy into the remain wood under the seat. We will see once it hits the water later this spring, if that was enough. I decided that pulling the bench seats out was WAY too much work for the value of the boat.