Sunday, September 21, 2008

Beware of sailors offering free shrimp and beer

We had our first annual End of Summer Shrimp Boil yesterday (the food and company were both excellent). Seeing as we had a number of able-bodied men standing around, I saw an opportunity I could not pass up. It was time to move the boat off the trailer and into the garage. So we spun the trailer around and backed it up to the garage. Then we ran three lengths of webbing under the hull and lined up six burly gents, three on a side, each with the end of one of the straps. On the count of three the boat came up off the trailer and with a few steps we were in the garage. The boat came to rest on a dozen bags of mulch arranged on the floor to form a cradle or nest to support the bottom of the hull. It was as easy as that. No one pulled or strained anything and the hull is now able to dry out and be worked on easily over the coming months. The trailer, having been freed of its burden is now ready for its makeover as well.

My deepest thanks go out to our friends and neighbors who made the move possible (Andrew, John, Kenny, Larry, Mark, Randy, & Steve). They more than earned their keep. The moral of this story would be, Beware of sailors offering free shrimp and beer, you may just have to work for your supper.

If you are wondering about the choice of mulch as the cradle, I had seen folks use sand bags for this purpose a number of times and initially planned on doing the same. I then thought about what I would do with all the sand when I was done and it hit me. I will need mulch in the spring, why not use mulch bags, which I need anyway.

No comments: